Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shooting Stars Cause Forest Fires

I saw a star fall from the sky tonight.
Perplexed, I wondered if I should catch it (or not)
Because hot coals cause forest fires
And glorified as they are, all stars burn.
Avert my eyes instead, I decided.
Walk away, forget about it.
Thought back to when I actually caught one,
Dropped it as I tried to hold on
Inevitably, a blaze resulted, but it was warm.
And that's the thing about stars,
Glorified as they are, because they give light and heat.
Sometimes it's nice to see and feel warm
But after that, I'll take the moon,
Because shooting stars cause forest fires
And I'd rather not see trees burn.

2 comments:

Sarah Dews said...

i'm pretty sure that this one is my favorite thus far. nice work, wall.

levi Wall said...

Why thanks sa'dews. I like it more than some of my other stuff, cuz its just different.